August 08, 2008

Breaking Dawn


WARNING

IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THIS BOOK OR ANY OF THE TWILIGHT SERIES AND INTEND TO...AND YOU REALLY SHOULD GIVE IT A TRY...DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER.

Okay...so book number four. 'Wow'...'Ummm'...and 'What' are the words that pretty much summed up my thoughts about this book. I admit that I had a hard time putting it down. I heart Edward. In Eclipse, tucked under the back flap, there were two iron ons. One said, 'Team Edward'. And the other said, 'Team Jacob'. When I go see the movie...I will be wearing my team's colors.

Okay so the book...I wasn't sure about the format she chose. I didn't really like how Stephenie switched perspectives in the middle of the book. Since she's coming out with Edward's perspective in a book all it's own. So wasn't thrilled about that. Having said that...it really made me appreciate Jacob's character and empathize with him in some ways. I thought the timing was bad because I would have loved to have Edward's perspective during Bella's pregnancy with all the risks involved. And I also, would have liked Bella's perspective of how strong her motherly bond grew for this child that was killing her. I think that may have been interesting.

I really liked that Bella and Edward were able to get married right off the bat in book four. Usually in the movies...there's always something getting in the way. So I was happy with that whole event. And I will admit I thought the 'honeymoon' part was riveting. I thought it was interesting that to keep some control of himself during intimate moments...Edward had destroyed things. The down pillow! LOVED it. I thought it was cute in a way. And found myself wanting more destruction...for her. The whole Edward-having-to-keep-control was... endearing to me. Kind of like 'brideling our passions'. Interesting.

Wasn't sure about the whole baby thing. In book 3 I wondered about it briefly...one of the things that she'd have to sacrifice. And at first, I was with Edward and Jacob, that this unborn child should be killed. At this point in the story Bella was my least favorite character. She was getting everything she wanted and I thought she was being super selfish and acting like a spoiled brat. Edward had given her everything she'd ever wanted and she never once returned the favor...the marriage thing doesn't count. If you love someone enough to even think about sex...then you do it the right way. Married.

I really thought that the Volturi and the Cullens, and all with them, were going to fight. I wanted so much for the Volturi to be defeated. I wanted Bella to prove herself, more than I thought she did, with her new talent. As she was practicing with Kate...I figured Nessie would be brought into the picture to show the power a mother can possess in protecting her young. I really liked that part.

So these are some of my thoughts as I close the fourth and final book of the Twilight Saga. The movie will be interesting but at least I will be with friends. I am glad I am not the only one who is in an uproar over the casting. My sil, who lives in California, said her friends there were so angry at the casting too. So hurray. I think I will just picture Orlando Bloom as Legolas, in Lord of the Rings, as the handsome, beautiful, and dazzling Edward. Even though, technically, Edward has light brown hair. Orlando Bloom would be perfect for the role of Edward. Yum.

5 comments:

danielle and jason said...

You are cracking me up about Orlando! :) I had mixed feelings about this book too, but overall loved it and how it wrapped up. I loved all the super cute parts w/ Edward and Bella (couldn't have been cuter, but is it too much to ask for a little more?) :)

Kristi said...

I am about half way done with it now, so I didn't read your post, but plan to once I am all done reading. So thanks for the warning I read another friends blog and she didn't have a warning and I think I read too much! Grr!!

Joey and Nettifer said...

Just finished the book to and I loved it. I can not get enough of Edward and the part when Bella was saying good bye to Nessie because she thought the fight was going to start and all the vampires followed I started to cry! Way good - Jacob bugs and I am with you on the ugly cast they picked. I guess us going to watch the movie thinking it will suck we might be shocked!

Audrey said...

I just got on the Twilight bandwagon. Started the first book last week, and just finished the final book. A few thoughts:

Jacob really bothered me once I realized he was falling in love with Bella, and I was really upset with Stephenie Meyer for sticking with it for so long until I read about him imprinting on Nessie, and their "relationship."

I was so relieved when Bella and Edward got married without a hitch, and when Bella changed into a vampire, and she didn't cry over EVERY LITTLE THING!

Lastly, I don't think there's a person alive who could play any one of the vapires and look right, let alone Edward. Although, I thought the actor chosen to play Darcy in Pride and Prejudice with Kiera Knightly was all wrong, but I was totally in love with him by the end of the movie - I'm hoping the same will be true of the actor cast as Edward. (Has anyone else noticed that he's Cedric Digory from the Harry Potter movies?!)

Can't say that I agree about Orlando Bloom, though. I've always thought he's kind of frail and greasy looking!

Leah Re-Etta said...

I FINALLY finished it! I've been pushing myself to finish it so I could read your post about it:) My thoughts...I'm not a huge fan of these books but now I'm done and never have to read them again:) I am looking forward to the movie though.